Osteochondrosis is a chronic spine disease. In most cases, conservative methods are used for treatment. In the ongoing process of the disease, when other available methods fail to achieve the effect, surgery will be resorted to.
The conservative treatment of osteochondrosis of the spine usually does not require hospitalization and can be performed at home without neurological complications. Family treatment should be performed by the attending physician after examining the patient and conducting necessary laboratory and instrumental research. You can use the following methods to treat osteochondrosis at home.
Drug prescriptions are used to aggravate the disease. The use of drugs is aimed at combating pain syndromes caused by compression of spinal nerve roots and vertebral arteries, which are caused by tissue edema or changes in spinal components. According to different routes of administration, drug therapy is divided into systemic therapy and local therapy.
For general treatment, the following drug groups are used:
- Anti-inflammatory (medicine. . . Oral administration of non-steroidal drugs with obvious analgesic effect. The daily dose is divided into 3-4 doses. All these drugs must be taken after or during meals, and rinsed with a lot of liquid, because they have a significant stimulating effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa. If the patient develops gastritis or exacerbation of peptic ulcer disease, it is necessary to switch to parenteral administration of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Muscle relaxantsCombined with diuretics and vasoactive agents. Therefore, it is possible to reduce the hypertonia of the painful local area and reduce the tissue edema. The drug is used for 5 to 7 days.
- sedative. . . In order to prevent the development of neuronalization that may lead to obvious pain syndromes, the appointment of sedatives of herbal origin is shown: herbal teas, tinctures, expenses. With long-term deterioration, sedatives or antidepressants are prescribed.
- B vitamins. . . The dosage form is used for oral administration in the form of a multivitamin complex. These drugs can improve nutrition and help restore the structure of nerve tissue damaged by compression. Vitamin B must be taken daily for 2-3 weeks.
- Chondroprotective agent: Promote the regeneration of damaged cartilage tissue and inhibit the degenerative and destructive process of the intervertebral disc.
Local treatment involves the application of topical medications to the painful local area, usually in the projection of the affected segment of the spine. Use the following dosage forms:
- Anti-inflammatory ointments and gels, Which contains non-steroidal drugs as active ingredients. They are used in combination with general anti-inflammatory therapies. During the worsening of the disease, the ointment is applied to the skin of the back, lower back or neck 3-4 times a day until the pain subsides.
- Warm balm, friction agent, ointmentContains biologically active substances with moderate stimulating effects. The ingredients of these drugs include menthol, bee venom or snake venom, which can improve blood circulation and reduce tissue swelling in painful areas.
- MetforminIn addition to its good anti-inflammatory effect, it also has a strong penetrating effect, which can transport other drugs dissolved in it to deep tissues. It is used in the form of application or wet-dry dressing with a dilution ratio of 1: 4. Add local anesthetics, hormone drugs, and NSAID to the Dimexide solution. Generally, after 5-7 times of use, happiness will improve significantly.
Therapeutic gymnastics is a treatment that must be recommended to all patients with osteochondrosis, provided that the patients have no contraindications. During the worsening of the disease, any physical exercise is prohibited. Only after the pain subsides under the supervision of the coach can the first class begin. Regular exercise helps to strengthen the muscular framework of the spine and reduce the load on the intervertebral discs. Systematic physical exercise can improve blood supply, thereby normalizing the metabolic process of the spine problem area, thereby significantly slowing down the degeneration of the intervertebral disc.
According to the positioning of osteochondrosis, there are different training methods. The most effective gymnastics for cervical and lumbar spine. When choosing a set of exercises, you need to consider the severity of the destructive changes in the spine and the initial state of the muscle tissue. Before starting an independent study, it is best to seek the advice of a qualified sports therapist.
Massage combined with therapeutic exercise is an effective way to treat osteochondrosis. It allows you to significantly reduce muscle stiffness, increase blood supply to problem areas, and improve the nutrition of spinal cartilage tissue. Massage can only be performed after the deterioration has subsided if there is no pain, and prevention can be performed during relief.
At home, you can perform self-massage, which includes using the basic techniques of therapeutic massage: stroking, squeezing, kneading and rubbing. In addition to self-massage by the patient's hands, special assistive equipment can also be used at home. These can be the simplest equipment-applicators, or complex equipment, including machinery, vacuum massagers, and even mini physiotherapy equipment.
Only by always adhering to a mild treatment plan can we effectively treat back osteochondrosis at home. In addition, the protocol must be followed during the acute phase of the disease and during the remission period without discomfort. This is because in most cases, the deterioration of the condition occurs precisely because the correct treatment plan is not followed in daily life.
The position of the talus where night sleep occurs is very important. The bed must have an orthopedic mattress and a small hard pillow. For cervical osteochondrosis, a special roller must be placed under the neck to reach the most physiological position of the spine and relax the muscles as much as possible. If possible, avoid uncomfortable postures when sitting at the table or watching TV for long periods of time. If you are about to engage in strenuous sports activities, especially weightlifting, you need to use a special corset.